For the strawberry cupcakes:
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dried strawberries
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
For the strawberry topping:
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp fresh strawberry puree
- Drop of red food colouring (optional)
- 6 strawberries
Special equipment: Star nozzle and piping bag
1. Heat your oven to gas mark 4/180ÂºC/350ÂºF and pop your cupcake cases in a 12-hole cupcake tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until theyâ€™re light and fluffy.
3. Add the vanilla extract and dried strawberries and stir them into the mixture.
4. Add the eggs, a little at a time, and beat them in well.
5. Sift in the flour and gently fold it into the mixture, then fold in the milk.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until theyâ€™re a light golden brown.
7. Leave the cakes to cool on a wire rack before you decorate the cakes.
8. For the buttercream, beat the butter and icing sugar until they look light and fluffy, then add the strawberry puree and stir it in.
9. If you want the buttercream to be pinker, add a drop or two of red food colouring and stir it in well.
10. When the cakes are cool, put a star nozzle in your piping bag and snip off the end. Pipe tall swirls on each Strawberry Cupcake.
11. Cut each strawberry in half and use a small knife to cut a triangle out of the top of each one to make them look like hearts. Pat each strawberry heart with kitchen towel and pop one on top of each swirl.