Cupcake Belleâ€™s Cut-Out CuppiesFor the chocolate cupcakes:
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp milk (optional)
For the buttercream:
- 150g icing sugar
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tbsp water
- Drop vanilla extract or orange flavouring
- Drop orange or peach food colouring
- Star and butterfly sprinkles
Special equipment: Star and flower shaped mini cookie cutters, plastic food bag.
1. Heat the oven to gas mark 5/190ÂºC/375ÂºF and pop your cupcake cases in a cupcake tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar until they look soft and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl, then fold them in gently.
5. Pour in the chocolate chips and stir them in so that theyâ€™re evenly distributed.
6. If the mixture feels dry, stir in some milk to make it a looser consistency.
7. Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake the cakes for 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Let the cakes cool in the tin for a few minutes, then move them to a wire rack. When the cakes are cool, put them in the fridge for an hour to firm up.
9. For the buttercream, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat in the butter.
10. Add a little water and a drop of vanilla extract or orange flavouring and mix until smooth.
11. Add a drop of any food colouring you like â€“ we used peach because it looks nice with chocolate.
12. Take the cupcakes out of the fridge and press down on the top centre of each cake with a flower or star-shaped mini cookie cutter. Press down firmly, then pull the cutter up and out of the cake. If the cutter doesnâ€™t pull the cake in the middle out, scoop it out with a small knife.
13. To fill each shape, spoon your coloured buttercream into a plastic food bag and snip off a corner at the bottom to turn it into a piping bag. Squeeze the buttercream through the hole into each cut-out shape.
14. Finish by putting sprinkles on the top â€“Â butterflies on the flowers and stars on the star.